The present park, which occupies about 25 acres, includes nearly all the characteristic features of a Choulot park: a lime avenue, a most imposing ring of planes, many “bosquets” of trees with contrasting hues and canopies and carefully designed vistas through the wooded areas. There is a newly created arboretum where planting is still in progress.
There are two small lakes, the larger one having a small island on which sits an enchanting little swan house surrounded by swamp cypresses.
The substantial walled garden still has its mature box hedges, which separate the squares and paths, and includes a potager and a physic garden. Other squares have been planted with fruit trees. The farm buildings which back onto the garden provide dedicated rooms for the storage of fruit and potatoes, now restored and put back into use. There is a greenhouse, which is in productive use, although its adjacent glass house is yet to be reglazed. The whole garden has a wonderful atmosphere of tranquillity combined with a subtle sense of purpose.
The pretty farm courtyard includes a prominent pigeonnier, in which the revolving ladder still turns at the push of a finger. The other buildings include a grand grenier, stables, various barns, a workshop and a garage.
The chapel, in a former 17th century dairy, charmingly decorated by the last Comte de Savigny, contains the coats-of-arms of many of the local families. It was blessed in 1920, by the authority of a Papal brief.
The château, which had been abandoned for over 20 years, has been gradually restored and is now back in use as a family house. There is a restored vineyard manager’s cottage at the far end of the walled garden which is currently let.
The park is not generally open to the public but is opened from time to time by arrangement.